First, let’s understand what a dental crown is and why is it needed. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap, placed over a tooth to improve its shape and size, strength and appearance.
You may need a dental crown to:
- Restore an already broken or worn-out tooth
- Cover discolored teeth, dental implant
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- Make a cosmetic modification
- Protect weak or decayed teeth from cracking
What are the types of dental crowns available?
These are different dental crown types you can opt for:
- Temporary crowns: These crowns are acrylic or metal alloy and are made at in-house dental labs. They can be used for temporary restoration until a permanent crown is designed for the individual by the lab.
- Stainless steel crowns: These are pre-fabricated crowns that are used on permanent and baby teeth, primarily as a temporary measure. The crown protects the tooth or filling while a permanent crown is made from another material.
- Metal crowns: These crowns are made from cast gold alloys or cast silver palladium alloys. The metal crowns are more durable and affects tampering with less tooth structure. But because of their metallic colour they are not preferred by all, they are mainly a good choice for out-of-sight molars.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns: These dental crown types look natural and can be very aesthetic. They can be a good choice for front or back teeth, but are prone to breakage quite easily.
- All-ceramic or porcelain dental crowns: Though they provide much better natural colour match than any other crown type, they are not as strong as porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns and they wear down easily.
- Zirconia or milled crown: These types of crowns are digitally constructed in dental offices that have the software and they require no impression. The type of dental crown you opt for depends on the longevity and cost of the crown.
What are the advantages of getting a dental crown?
With a crown, you may be able to avoid many dental problems and more. Here are the advantages of getting a dental crown:
- Speech – Missing teeth or ill-fitting dentures can affect a person’s speech, making their speech sound slurred or lisped. Restoring missing teeth with crowns can help the person speak confidently.
- Cosmetic- A dental crown can replace a missing tooth, restoring the look of your smile.
- Restorative – Due to their natural tooth-like features, crowns restore the full function of missing or damaged tooth and aid in speaking and chewing properly.
We hope, we cleared your doubt regarding different dental crown types. To avoid all dental problems, never forget to brush your teeth with India’s best ayurvedic toothpaste – Dabur Red Paste
. Maintain proper oral hygiene
and choose the right toothpaste
to keep all dental problems
away & ensure proper dental care