Oral First Aid For Kids
02 February 2015, Dabur Dental Team
As soon as your child complains of a toothache, rinse his mouth with warm, salt water and use dental floss to remove unwanted food stuck in the mouth. Food lodgement incites pain immediately & is relieved as soon as the offending food is removed. If there is a swelling, cold compress his cheek with an ice pack for about 20 minutes. Next, give him a pain killer to relieve the discomfort. Self-medication may harm the child and hence it is recommended to consult a dentist before taking any pills. Make sure you don’t give him any medication that contains a substance he is allergic to. Seek an appointment with your dentist, at the earliest. A toothache, if worsens, can be very hard to bear, especially for your baby.
White sores on the inside walls of the mouth, gums, tongue can be a result of vigorous cheek biting, tooth brushing, burns from hot foods and irritation from braces or dentures. This may either result in pain or burning sensation. For immediate relief, you must:
- Rinse it away with salt water or aloe vera juice.
- Apply a wet, black tea bag to the ulcer but do not do this excessively as it may cause a chemical burn. Black tea contains tannin, an astringent that has pain-relieving ability.
- Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in half a glass of warm water and add a heaped teaspoon of a calcium-magnesium powder to it. Fill the rest of the glass with cool water and sip it for relief.
- Coat your mouth sore with lemon balm. Although lemon juice may be the last thing you want to dab onto a painful sore, lemon balms can be soothing.
- If the problem persists, make sure you visit a dentist at the earliest.
- Normally, mouth ulcers may require nothing more than keeping the infectious causative bacteria at bay. To do this, one may apply an ointment that keeps the ulcer sterile & continue to do this 4-5 times a day for the next 7 days.
Bitten/Cut tongue, Cheek, Lip
If the injury involves bleeding, apply direct pressure to the bleeding area for 15 to 20 minutes using a clean washcloth. If there is a swelling, apply an ice pack to the wound. However, if the bleeding persists, rush your child to a hospital’s emergency room. If the wound does require stitches, professional medical care at the earliest is crucial. Usually the tongue & the lips bleed profusely even when subjected to minor cuts. Applying a cold pressure bandage may help reduce the bleeding till emergency care can be rendered.
Knocked out Tooth
If possible, retrieve the tooth. Put the tooth in a cup of milk, saliva or blood to keep it hydrated as chances are that your dentist may be able to put it back in if it does not completely dry out. You may also buy a bottle of Normal Saline from the pharmacy & store the tooth in that. Do not tamper or try to clean the tooth surface as this may destroy the attachment fibres on the tooth surface. See the dentist at the earliest usually within the next 3 hours.
Maintaining proper oral hygiene and using the right toothpaste plays a vital role in keeping tooth problems such as plaque, cavities, tartar and tooth decay away. Visit our blog to know more about prevention of dental problems to keep teeth strong and healthy. Get helpful tips which helps in ensuring proper dental care. Also try out home remedies for toothache to get quick pain relief.