Symptoms and Causes of Dental Problems in Kids
Dental issues can affect the mental/emotional and physical well-being of kids. Regular toothaches and swollen gums can affect the appetite of your kids because eating becomes too painful. Fever due to toothaches also interferes with their normal schedule keeping them irritated and unwell. The symptoms to look out for are:
- Excessive pain while eating-:This is one of the most common symptoms of cavities in the mouth. If your kids feel pain while eating something sweet or salty, it is time to visit a dentist. Hot and cold water, ice-cream and hot sweets can cause severe tooth sensitivity and pain. Thus, one of the earliest symptoms of dental issues is tooth sensitivity.
- Food lodgment-: If the food gets stuck in between teeth or chewing/ biting surfaces of teeth, there is possibility that there is break in the coating of teeth/ enamel. The child may avoid eating, gets irritated and may repeatedly put fingers in mouth.
- Swollen Gums-: Swollen gums are another most common symptom that can cause trauma to your kids. If the gums bleed while brushing the teeth, then it shows that there is some severe lack in oral hygiene and dental regimen.
- Tooth ache-: Tooth aches that occur due to cavities and bacteria also alarm about the need of dental care in kids.
- Foul Odor-: Bad breath and foul smell are among the most embarrassing problems and symptoms of bad dental health.
- Yellowing Tooth-: The yellowing of the tooth enamel is the symptom of fluorosis in the teeth. It may be caused due to excessive fluoride consumption. It is not a disease but a cosmetic condition which will make your kids smile less attractive.
It is also important to understand the origin of the causes behind the dental problems
in kids in order to cure them effectively and also take preventive measures for future.
Some of the most important causes behind the dental ailments are-:
- Lack of proper care- Kids, if not monitored, do not practice proper oral hygiene. Improper and irregular brushing habits are a major reason behind cavities and toothaches.
- Improper eating habits- Children usually do not follow regular eating patterns. They eat after brushing their teeth in the night or even sleep just after eating and not brushing which leads to bad bacteria feeding on residual food ultimately leading to cavities. Also, eating too many chocolates and other sweets can lead to cavities.
- In between meals snacking- The healthier option of fruits and nuts should be given to children rather than the sticky foods like chocolates or caramel which when left on teeth ferment and harbor bacteria.
Prevention and Cure
Although many natural treatments and man-made treatments are available in the market for treating dental issues, the best medicine is prevention. It is very easy to prevent dental problems from becoming severe by following these simple steps:-
- Tell your kids to brush teeth twice daily, morning and bedtime. Educate them about the importance of dental health and how it can adversely affect their lives
- Proper cleansing of mouth including the tongue and gums is very important to prevent the bacteria from flourishing
- Visit the dentist regularly (at least once in 6 months) for checkups and cleaning of teeth so that they remain healthy and clean
- It is very important to use high, good quality toothpaste and brush (with soft bristles and small head)
- In the case of persistent pain, even after trying out all natural remedies, you should take your kids to a dentist immediately
By just following a few simple steps one can completely prevent dental issues in kids. With the busy lives of parents it is almost impossible to check whether the kids have brushed their teeth or not every day. Make sure that all the members in family make it a habit of brushing at bedtime and take it as a ritual or the parents can make their kids brush their teeth together to make it a play activity. Regular dental check-ups and following a few natural remedies at home can definitely help treating dental health issues in kids.
But, the most important thing to keep in mind is that you should never ignore any initial symptoms of dental issues. Once the tooth starts decaying getting an early treatment is absolutely critical for saving the tooth from being damaged permanently. If tooth sensitivity is ignored for long period of time it weakens the root of tooth leading to a completely damaged tooth.
Therefore, proper dental care in kids is very essential for them to live a healthy life free from any dental ailments.
Natural Cures for Oral Problems in Kids
The best part of dental issues is that they can be treated effectively at home as well as by visiting dental health care clinics. A few natural remedies for treating dental issues include-:
- Take one teaspoon each of Peppermint, Lavender and Rosemary in a cup of water and boil. Ask your kid to rinse their mouth thoroughly with this mixture after cooling it. This mixture is miracle for treating bad breath and foul odor and is a natural mouth freshener
- Get your kids to gargle/rinse regularly with a solution of peppermint, sugar and boric acid mixed with water in the ratio of 3:2:1:4. This solution is an effective sensitivity reliever
- Cloves and cinnamon have antiseptic properties that help kids by relieving tooth ache. They help in killing the bacteria inside the mouth and hence preventing cavities and tooth decay
- Citrus items such as lemon and apple cider vinegar are also very helpful in killing the bacteria and preventing tooth decay. Applying lemon on gums can help relieving the pain in sore gums
Read more about home remedies for toothache for pain relief