Coconut oil is one of the few foods that can be classified as a ‘superfood’. Its unique combination of fatty acids can have profound positive effects on the health. The best use that coconut oil is put to for dental care
is oil pulling. Oil pulling involves swishing oil around the mouth and has been used for thousands of years. Oil pulling is best done in the morning, before eating or drinking anything. The main benefit of using coconut oil for doing this is that it reduces the amount of harmful bacteria in the mouth. Coconut oil used in oil pulling can also reduce plaque and gingivitis
. Oil pulling done using coconut oil can also help remove bad breath.
If you wish to try this dental care technique at home, follow the simple steps given below:
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth.
- Swirl it for 20 minutes. You need this time to break through plaque and bacteria. Notice the oil get thicker and milky as it mixed with saliva.
- Spit the oil out.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. You can swish some warm water in your mouth for a few minutes to clean your mouth completely.
- Follow this up with brushing.
Due to the above advantages, India’s best toothpaste
maker Dabur, recommends coconut oil for complete dental care. Coconut oil has many other health benefits too. Listed below are a few:
- Heart Care - Coconut oil is beneficial for the heart. It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in actively preventing various heart problems like high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. It reduces the incidence of injury and damage to arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.
- Weight Loss - The medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil can increase energy expenditure compared to the same amount of calories from longer chain fats. People eating food cooked in coconut oil are healthy and fit!
- Immunity - Coconut oil helps fight diseases like diseases like herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and even HIV.
- Boosts Memory - The fatty acids in coconut oil can boost brain function in alzheimer’s patients.
- Skin Care - Coconut oil can protect hair against damage, moisturize skin and function as sunscreen.
- Energy Booster - Coconut oil gives you a great boost in energy. Some people also feel it helps boost their mental alertness.
- Fungal Infections - Coconut oil helps to remove fungus if used diligently.
Maintaining proper oral hygiene and using the right toothpaste plays a vital role in keeping dental problems away. Visit our blog to know more about dental care and following an oral care routine to keep teeth strong and healthy.